So maybe you recently started having issues with your dryer’s performance or maybe someone has made you aware of the importance of proper dryer vent maintenance and you’re not sure if your dryer vent may or may not be a fire hazard.
Either way, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve put together a detailed list of the top five signs your dryer vent needs to be cleaned as soon as possible!
Here at Dryer Vent Tech, we’ve seen our fair share of lint clogged dryer vents and the typical warning signals our customers always tend to see before contacting us. Unfortunately, most home owners don’t think about this small but important section of their home and usually wait until problems arise before getting a skilled dryer vent technician to professionally clean their vent.
We’re doing our part in helping to inform more people about this crucial necessity and all we ask is that you pass the word along. Tell a couple of your loved ones. Dryer vent fires are at a staggering 15,000 each year, on average, in the U.S. alone and one of the leading causes of house fires. Let’s all contribute to bringing more awareness to this issue and improving this horrible statistic.
Top Five Telltale Signs Your Dryer Vent Needs to Be Cleaned:
- Your Dryer is Taking Too Long to Dry Your Clothes – This is by far the most common sign of a clogged vent. In order to function properly, your dryer’s exhaust system needs to be able to blow a certain amount of hot/moist air through the dryer duct to the exterior of your home. As more lint builds up in the vent, the air pressure decreases causing the dryer to work harder to properly eliminate the moisture from the damp clothes.
- Your Dryer is Getting Too Hot – As we mentioned above, it is important for your dryer to sufficiently exhaust the moist, hot air as it operates in order to properly dry your clothes in a timely fashion. Whenever this important function is compromised by a clogged vent, the hot air has nowhere to escape and begins to build up inside of the dryer itself. This causes the dryer to get very hot and is the biggest cause for dryer fires. If your dryer is running too hot, you should stop using it and get it professionally cleaned before using it again.
- Your Dryer is Showing an Error Code – If you have a newer dryer, chances are it’s equipped with sensors and error warnings that will alert you to specific problems you may be having with your dryer. Depending on the type of dryer you have, you may see an “AF” signal indicating that there is a decrease in the airflow pressure, or you may see an error code that requires reference to the owners manual to determine the nature of the issue. Some dryers are programmed to shut off if there’s an airflow issue to prevent it from starting a fire.
- You Can See a Collection of Lint on the Exterior Vent Cover – Sometimes the lint is visible and you’re able to clearly see the lint sticking to the exterior vent cover. This is a clear indication that your dryer vent needs to be cleaned. If lint is starting to gather at the end of your dryer vent you can be certain there’s a lot more on the inside of the dryer duct.
- It’s Been Awhile – As a rule of thumb, it’s always good to have your dryer vent thoroughly cleaned at least once every other year. In fact, if you have a large family and you frequently use your dryer, you may need to get it done at least once a year to be safe. Prevention is better than cure as they say and in this case it could be the difference between a destructive house fire and a peaceful home with a good functioning dryer.
NEED TO SPEAK WITH A TECHNICIAN? CONTACT US BELOW!
If you’re experiencing any of these top five telltale signs of a clogged dryer duct, don’t hesitate to reach out to your nearest dryer vent technician and schedule an appointment for a professional lint extraction. If you’re located within Nashville TN don’t hesitate to contact us today!
We also provide professional dryer vent maintenance for all surrounding areas including:
- Franklin TN
- Brentwood TN
- Lavergne TN
- Goodlettsville TN
- Smyrna TN
- Lebanon TN
- Hendersonville TN
- Gallatin TN
- Portland TN
- Madison TN
Don’t wait until it’s too late, call us today at 615-455-2313 we are happy to help and eager to hear from you. For more information on our professional cleaning process visit our page on how we clean.